What is visualization? Why is it important? Who are we? Course overview.
Perception, Cognition, ColorThursday
Version Control; HTML and SVG.Tuesday
Introduction to git. HTML, CSS and the DOM. Selectors, etc.
- D3 Book, Chapters 1-3
- VDA Book, Chapter 1
Tuesday class canceled by the university due to wind storm.
DOM Manipulation, D3Thursday
Manipulating the DOM with the standard API, D3 Selections, Data Binding, Scales, Axes
Data Abstraction, Data Types.Tuesday
- VAD, Chapter 2, Data Abstraction
- On the Theory of Scales of Measurement. S. S. Stevens. Science, 103(2684), pp. 677-680, June 1946.
The Visualization Alphabet: Marks and Channels.Thursday
- Crowdsourcing graphical perception: using mechanical turk to assess visualization design. Jeff Heer, Mike Bostock. Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, 2010.
- VAD, Chapter 5, Marks and Channels
- VAD, Chapter 10.4, Mapping Other Channels
- Graphical Perception: Theory, Experimentation and the Application to the Development of Graphical Models. William S. Cleveland, Robert McGill, J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 79:387, pp. 531-554, 1984.
- The Structure of the Information Visualization Design Space. Stuart Card and Jock Mackinlay. Proceedings of InfoVis, 1997.
- How to pick more beautiful colors for your data visualizations, Lisa Charlotte Rost
GeoJSON, TopoJSON, Choropleth Maps, Proportional Symbol Maps, Google Maps
- D3 book, Chapters 11 and 12
- The good, the bad, and the biased: five ways visualizations can mislead (and how to fix them). Danielle Albers Szafir. Interactions. 2018.
- VAD, Chapters 6.3-6.6, and 6.9, Rules of Thumb
- VAD, Chapter 6.10, Function First, Form Next
- VAD, Chapter 3, Why: Task Abstraction
Pie charts, tree maps, node-link diagrams, matrices, etc.
- Interactive dynamics for visual analysis, Heer, J., & Shneiderman, B. Communications of the ACM 55(4), 2012.
- VAD, Chapter 11, Manipulate View
- VAD, Chapter 6.8, Responsiveness Is Required
Advanced JS and D3Tuesday
JS in depth: promises and writing async code. Spread operator.
D3 in depth: brushes, how to structure multiple view visualizations.
Views; Focus and ContextThursday
- VDA Chapter 12, Facet into Multiple Views
- VDA Chapter 14, Embed: Focus + Context
Visualizing Tabular Data (Part 1)Tuesday
- VDA Chapter 7, Tables
Visualizing Tabular Data (Part Two)
- VDA Chapter 7, Tables
Virtual VIS Conference, hosted by Utah Team. Register and attend at least two sessions!
Class cancelled for election day.
Project Peer Feedback in GroupsThursday
Visualizing Networks and TreesTuesday
- VDA Chapter 9, Arrange Networks and Trees
- S. Kieffer, T. Dwyer, K. Marriott, and M. Wybrow, “HOLA: Human-like Orthogonal Network Layout,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 349–358, Jan. 2016.
Visualizing Multivariate NetworksThursday
Project Feedback with Instructors
You will schedule a 20-minute time-slot with one of the instructors to receive feedback on your project.
Storytelling with VisualizationTuesday
Tasks Analysis, Designing and Evaluating VisualizationsThursday
- A nested model for visualization design and validation. Tamara Munzner. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 15(6), 2009.
- VAD, Chapter 4, Analysis: Four Levels for Validation
- S. Carpendale, “Evaluating Information Visualizations,” in Information Visualization: Human-Centered Issues and Perspectives, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2008, pp. 19–45.
- H. Lam, E. Bertini, P. Isenberg, C. Plaisant, and S. Carpendale, “Empirical Studies in Information Visualization: Seven Scenarios,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1520–1536, 2012.
- Design Activity Framework for Visualization Design (Section 4-4.3). Sean McKenna, Dominika Mazur, James Agutter, Miriah Meyer. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (InfoVis ’14), 20(12), pp. 2191-2200, 2014.
- Parallel Prototyping Leads to Better Design Results, More Divergence, and Increased Self-Efficacy. Dow, Steven P., et al. Design Thinking Research. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2012. 127-153.
- Sketching Designs Using the Five Design-Sheet Methodology. Roberts, Jonathan C., Chris Headleand, and Panagiotis D. Ritsos. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 22.1 (2016): 419-428.
- VizItCards: A Card-Based Toolkit for Infovis Design Education. He, Shiqing, and Eytan Adar. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (2016).
Filtering & AggregationTuesday
- VDA Ch. 13 Reduce Items and Attributes
Thursday: Thanksgiving Break
Visualizing Sets and TextTuesday
- A. Lex and N. Gehlenborg, “Points of view: Sets and intersections,” Nat Meth, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 779–779, Aug. 2014.
- B. Alsallakh, L. Micallef, W. Aigner, H. Hauser, S. Miksch, and P. Rodgers, “The State-of-the-Art of Set Visualization,” in Computer Graphics Forum, 2016, vol. 35, pp. 234–260.
- A. Lex, N. Gehlenborg, H. Strobelt, R. Vuillemot, and H. Pfister, “UpSet: Visualization of Intersecting Sets,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (InfoVis ’14), vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1983–1992, 2014.
Best Project Presentations, Wrap-UpThursday